For Michigan State Spartans fans like me, this has been a disappointing football season. My usually- winning Spartans aren’t playing well or winning. On the other hand, if you’re a Wolverine fan, you’ve got reason to gloat this fall! One hallmark of successful teams of any kind is “doing the basics well” and “excelling in the fundamentals.” Without that, it doesn’t matter how much talent you have.
This is true for the church. We can have a great location and a beautiful building. We can have gifted pastors, staff and laity. But unless we excel in the fundamentals, the church will flounder in its mission. In this season of Thanksgiving I am grateful that Central Church shines when it comes to what matters most. We’ve got a winning team and I thank God for you. Here are some of the fundamentals of Christ’s work we can celebrate here:
Worship and Music
Three distinct worship offerings on Sunday morning with an average of 500 in attendance Hospitality
Over 100 follow-up contacts with new guests this year
Caring for Our Children and Youth
- Over 130 children and youth attending weekly programming
- Nursery and Parent’s Night Out programming serving 75 families throughout the year Caring for Our Church Family
Parish Nurse, Stephen Ministers, Parish Visitors offering weekly support Caring for Those in Need
- Over $90,000 in giving to missions to date!
- 2117 Community Outreach meals served September 2016
- Average of 87 meals served at Thursday Community Meals Outreach to the Community
- LifeTree Conversation Café Launched in September
- Christmas Open House that attracts hundreds of community neighborsOf course none of this is possible without your big-hearted giving to support Christ’s ministry here. The essential practice of generosity makes all the difference. When you give to Central you are investing in something greater than yourself, greater than the church; you’re investing in God’s love and power in the world. As we move through this season of giving and gratitude let’s commit to fully fund these and other essential ministries. Let’s finish the year strong in giving and commit to support our growing ministry in 2017.If you haven’t turned in your 2017 estimate of giving card please do so. We need to know we can count on your support. My Spartans may not be having a winning season, but my church is!Thanks for Your Generosity!